Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What Character Traits Do You Value Most?

As a young girl, I had a group of friends that I did everything with. We walked to school together, played softball, had sleepovers... Those girls were my introduction to the importance of BEST FRIENDS. I needed them in my life and they needed me. It felt good. To this day, I am still friends with many of them. 36 years and over 700 miles can't break that bond. We are loyal, real and resilient.

As an adult, I have had many friends. Some were for a season and others for a lifetime. What makes the difference? Why can time and distance separate some friendships yet others survive regardless of circumstances? That's a great question. I think it has everything to do with shared values.

Have you ever met someone and instantly knew you would be friends for life? I have been blessed to have that happen on more than one occasion. A couple of them are because the person was so much like me it was almost scary. We just "got" each other. Others, the person couldn't be more different from outward appearances. I'm not real "girly" but a few of my BEST FRIENDS are all girly. One is even rightfully nicknamed Bling!

I don't think it depends on appearance or personality or even where we live. I think it depends on the character traits or values that we value most. God gave all of us certain values or character traits that make us who we are.  For me, the three that I value most are loyalty, authenticity and resilience.  I remain loyal no matter what and expect the same from my friends. I don't care about being perfect as long as I remain authentic and that is what I look for in others. Life is hard and I know that God put a resilience in me because He knew my resilience would inspire others. I tend to love and treasure people who have had to be over-comers/fighters, resilient in tough life circumstances.

Every BEST FRIEND I have, man or woman, possess those character traits. We've all heard, "never judge a book by it's cover", it's all about the content! 

I love all my friends, even those who don't call me "friend" anymore, but when I find those instant, soul touching, BEST FRIENDS, I know immediately that they will be friends for life. Life circumstances can not separate us, moving across the country, having children, not having children, nothing can separate us because like me, they value loyalty, authenticity and resilience.

What character traits do you value most? Do your BEST FRIENDS possess those traits?  Does your spouse posses those traits? I bet they do! When you share values it makes a difference in your relationship.




No comments:

Post a Comment